Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mock Up For Owen


Here is the mock up for Owens bedside table.

Since it will be made of old doors, I thought that it would be nice to us
the glass knobs as feet; it’s the self referential thing,
The back leg detail is from an old piece of furniture I saw in Montreal by the side of the road in the 80ies.
It was a small dresser if I remember correctly, I wish now that I would have put it in the back of my truck and brought it home.
When saw it, I thought to myself that it was a very inventive way to make a back foot. They had used the side of the piece to create a foot.
At the time I was still in University working on my Fine Art Degree so I never thought that this design element would make its way into my vocabulary as a furniture designer maker.
I do not know if it is a Canadian design detail but I will assume that it is and quote the source as such.
I have since glued up the Bed Side Table. The inside and exposed edges are painted black. The rest of the carcass is mitred so that the finish that was on the doors originally wraps around the exterior surface.
It looks like a patch work quilt.
When there is a bit of down time in the studio, I will make a jig to cut out the back feet.
Right now I am working on panels and frames for shows that are coming up next month.

No comments: